The Selection Process
Complete a City of La Palma online employment application.
You must either be a Police Officer, an academy graduate from a P.O.S.T. accredited academy, or currently enrolled in a P.O.S.T. accredited academy to apply. Lateral candidates from other states must obtain a wavier or other certification approval from P.O.S.T.
Your application will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the minimum requirements for the position.
Upon successful review of your application, you will be invited to participate in an oral interview. This interview will last approximately 30-45 minutes, and will be used to evaluate your communication, interpersonal, and decision-making skills. The oral board panel will also expect you to have researched the city of La Palma and the La Palma Police Department.
If you are successful in the oral interview, you will be placed on an eligibility list for up to one year. Applicants can be selected from the eligibility list and invited to start the background process.
La Palma Police Officers are entrusted with the responsibility of preserving public safety for residents and visitors of La Palma. The La Palma Police Department has a long history of professionalism, integrity, and customer care. Therefore, your background will be looked at very closely.
You will be asked to complete a pre-polygraph questionnaire, and an extensive background investigation packet, including a Personal History Statement. You will also be fingerprinted. If it appears you meet the cities’ background standards, we will start an extensive investigation into your background.
The background investigation will include checks of your employment, police, financial, educational, and military records. We will interview your family members, those with whom you live currently or in the past, your co-workers, employers, supervisors, friends, and neighbors.
The areas listed below are several examples of areas that will be reviewed during your background process:
- Moral character and reputation
- Past behavior and the choices you have made that support your moral character and reputation
- A history of lawful behavior and conduct
- High standards of honesty and integrity. FALSIFYING, MISREPRESENTING, OR OMITTING INFORMATION DURING THE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ARE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION
- Past behavior must demonstrate a history free of violence, physical altercations, or other abusive treatment and behavior towards others
- Past decision-making relating to drugs and alcohol usage
- Employment and/or military background must show a history of responsible behavior and work ethic
- Financial and driving records will be examined to determine level of responsibility, decision making, and appropriate behavior. (Applicants must have a valid California Driver’s License at the time of the appointment)
As part of your background investigation, you will also participate in a polygraph examination. This background investigation can take one to three months to complete.
Personal History Criteria
As part of the selection process, applicants who are invited to start the background portion will be asked to complete a Personal History Statement.
Personal History Criteria
Pre-Employment Medical Examination
A physician hired by the City will perform a thorough medical examination. The purpose of this examination is to make sure the applicant meets the P.O.S.T. standards. You can visit the P.O.S.T. website for further information on the physical requirements for a police officer.
The applicant will complete a written psychological test which consists of a personality test and a life questionnaire. The results are evaluated by a psychologist hired by the City. The psychologist will interview each applicant and evaluate the written tests.
Following Successful Completion of the Selection Process
Once a candidate is hired, s/he will go directly into a Field Training Program (Lateral Entry or Academy Graduate).