Business Licenses

A business license is required for all businesses and in-home businesses operating within the city limits, including temporary activities and contractors with offices located outside of the City, but are conducting work in the City. Concurrently, an Application for Building Permit and Certificate of Compliance and Occupancy is required for a business to verify Zoning Compliance and Building Compliance for all non-residential businesses operating within the city limits. Most importantly, a Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) Permit is required for any food service establishment business. The Certificate of Compliance and Occupancy and FOG Permit (if applicable) are required to be completed prior to issuance of Business License.

If you are already have an established business license with La Palma and wish to RENEW YOUR LICENSE ONLINE, you will need your license account number and pin number from your renewal form and follow the instructions.

If you are a new business, La Palma has five different business license categories:

1.Outside Contractors - General Contractors are those that hold an A or B State Contractor's License and Specialty Contractors are those that hold a C2-C61, ASB, or HAZ State Contractor's License with offices outside of La Palma, but doing business within City Limits. Please apply online and follow the instructions after you register your business.

2.Commercial Businesses INSIDE La Palma - New Commercial Businesses are those that have an office INSIDE La Palma City Limits. Please apply for a new Commercial business license, you will need to follow the instructions after you register your business. You will need to have the Layout of Office/Commercial space, a Business Plan (include hours of operation, type of service or product you are providing to the public), and copies of any licenses that are required (Seller’s permit, Fictitious Business Name statement of filing, State Licenses, FEIN, Articles of Incorporation, etc.) readily available to upload.

Business License applications for restaurant or food establishments MUST FIRST GET health permit from the County and it requires completion of the combined Air Quality Management District (AQMD) and Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA) form.

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. Pursuant to AB 3002, we have provided a Notice to Applicants for Business Licenses and Commercial Building Permits regarding Disability Access Requirements and Resources.

3.Commercial Businesses OUTSIDE La Palma – New Commercial Businesses are those that are conducting business within La Palma, but have offices OUTSIDE of La Palma City Limits and are encouraged to follow the above procedure, but will NOT have to upload the business plan or layout of the office as your offices are located outside of La Palma.

4.Home-Based - A Home-based business is one that can be run out of a residential unit, but maintains all appearances of a residential dwelling unit. You will need to schedule an inspection as part of the process. To file for Home-Based business license online, please follow the instructions, or print the Home-Based License Application and mail or return to City Hall with payment.

5. Sidewalk Vending - Vendors are able to sell goods or services within the City of La Palma along the public right of way with a valid permit. A business license, among other requirements, are needed at the time of application. A copy of the Sidewalk Vending Permit form may be downloaded here.

Other Information

Please contact the Business License Division for more information on business licenses and the Applicating for Building Permit and Certificate of Compliance and Occupancy at (714) 690-3342. For questions regarding Fats, Oils, and Grease (FOG) Permit please contact the FOG / NPDES Inspector at New businesses and new ownership of existing businesses within the City are encouraged to contact the Planning Division at (714) 690-3336 to further discuss the details of their land use prior to submitting an application. 

  1. Marion Cubero

    Business License/Code Enforcement Officer