The La Palma Community Services Department, in partnership with the Anaheim Family YMCA, offers swimming, water safety, and water fitness classes throughout the year in the indoor, heated therapeutic pool at the La Palma Intercommunity Hospital; and during the summer at the John F. Kennedy High School pool.
La Palma Intercommunity Hospital Indoor Pool
Water fitness and water safety classes are at the indoor pool located at 7901 Walker Street (pool and parking in the rear of the hospital). Registration in-person at the Central Park Office, 7821 Walker Street OR ONLINE.
A shallow water workout, for ages 55+ years, that includes aerobic training, muscle conditioning, and a stretch and relax phase to promote flexibility and reduce stress and tension. The 50-minute classes are taught on Mondays/Wednesdays or Tuesdays/Thursdays or Fridays.
Lessons are for beginner level participants who are uncomfortable or inexperienced in the water. Classes teach basic water skills. Three different levels are available based on the age of the participant: Water Babies, 6 months to 3 years with parent; Tots, 3 to 5 years; and Polligwogs, 6-8 years. Each weekday session will include nine 30-minute lessons over the course of two weeks. Classes are year round, register today online!
Ages: 6 mos – 13 yrs
A fun and safe way to make a splash! In collaboration with the Anaheim Family YMCA, summer swimming lessons are returning to the Kennedy High School pool! Participants will gain lifelong confidence in and out of the water. Trained instructors teach essential swimming and water safety skills to youth.
All levels of classes are available at Kennedy High School. La Palma Intercommunity Hospital is for non-swimmers and only up to the age of 8.
Group lessons will be conducted in three 2-week sessions and one session of 6-Saturdays. Register in-person at Central Park, 7821 Walker Street OR ONLINE. For a complete list of classes, levels and times please select a location below.
- Water Babies/Shrimps: Ages 6 months to 3 years (Adult Required in water)
- Tots/Starfish: Ages 3 to 5, participants grouped by ability
- Polliwog (Level 1): Ages 6 to 8, Intro to basic skills—no experience
- Guppy (Level 2): Ages 6 to 13, Comfortable in the water, can swim 5 yards with no support
- Minnow (Level 3): Ages 6 to 13, Comfortable swimming, can swim 15 yards front & backstroke
- Fish (Level 4): Ages 7 to 13, Can swim, with rotary breathing, 25 yards front, back, and breaststroke
- Flying Fish (Level 5): Ages 7 to 13, Can swim 50 yards front, back, and breaststroke; 15 yards sidestroke & butterfly
- Shark (Level 6): Ages 7 to 13, Advanced water skills & proficiency