La Palma Police Officers are entrusted with the responsibility of preserving public safety for residents and visitors of La Palma. The La Palma Police Department has a long history of professionalism, integrity, and customer care. Therefore, your background will be looked at very closely.
You will be asked to complete a pre-polygraph questionnaire, and an extensive background investigation packet, including a Personal History Statement. You will also be fingerprinted. If it appears you meet the cities’ background standards, we will start an extensive investigation into your background.
The background investigation will include checks of your employment, police, financial, educational, and military records. We will interview your family members, those with whom you live currently or in the past, your co-workers, employers, supervisors, friends, and neighbors.
The areas listed below are several examples of areas that will be reviewed during your background process:
- Moral character and reputation
- Past behavior and the choices you have made that support your moral character and reputation
- A history of lawful behavior and conduct
- High standards of honesty and integrity. FALSIFYING, MISREPRESENTING, OR OMITTING INFORMATION DURING THE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION ARE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION
- Past behavior must demonstrate a history free of violence, physical altercations, or other abusive treatment and behavior towards others
- Past decision-making relating to drugs and alcohol usage
- Employment and/or military background must show a history of responsible behavior and work ethic
- Financial and driving records will be examined to determine level of responsibility, decision making, and appropriate behavior. (Applicants must have a valid California Driver’s License at the time of the appointment)
As part of your background investigation, you will also participate in a polygraph examination. This background investigation can take one to three months to complete.